Rain Barrels - Love the idea, hate the look

Since we got the house and I developed a love of Gardening, I have been eyeing Rain Barrels. But I hate the way they look.

rainbarrel2

Actually, it's more that the problem is their size. They are huge, and let's face it, hard to work into smaller areas. I want to be eco-friendly, but I also don't want a huge tub at the side of my house that I have to walk around. However, the times may be changing - Hopefully we'll start to see Designers start to tackle the "traditional" concept of a tub rain collector.

I saw this one in the latest issue of House & Home Magazine designed by Hero Design Lab available at Modern Karibou.

rainbarrel
By Hero Design Lab

Isn't it gorgeous? I reminds me (and in a good way) of my Grandmothers patio set that she used to have. Problem is the price tag. (Reg price $599.99 CDN) Out of our of our budget by a few hundred dollars, unfortunately. Not that I don't think it's worth it - but expecting a baby, house expenses, makes spending that much, for us, difficult.

What I think is the most genius part of it, is that the designers hit the nail on the head with the actual design. It's tall and linear, and would fit into more spaces than one of the big huge tubs. I can see tucking this into a corner, out of the way, but still very much accessible.

I'm hoping that over time, manufacturers will see that people do want to have products like this and over time, the price tags will come down as the demand for them increases. Maybe a tall linear one like the the one from Hero Design lab, but clad in teak. Ohhh, that would be gorgeous!

I think I may bite the bullet and buy a tub. It would make me feel better about watering my garden, and I'll suck up the aesthetic issue until I can find a designer-friendly one. :)

--------------------------
UPDATE: Scott & Heather sent me a link (see the comments) THANK YOU! That led me to this website. Look at these Rain Barrels available on CleanAirGardening.com. Umm...gorgeous!

rain
------------
Some interesting reading: Toronto's Guide to Rain Barrels

0 comments:

Post a Comment