DIY - Chalkboard Project

chalk board project

Here is a chalkboard project that is pretty easy to do. Like REALLY easy. I was reminded of my project when I was reading over at {freckles chic} when I saw this post of hers. The chalkboard has now found a new home in my studio, but for awhile it worked well in our kitchen.

Total Cost - Under $40

Step 1: I went to my local framer who made random frames out of renmants - left over frame from other jobs. I'm pretty sure that I've seen this done in TONS of other frame shops, so just pop into one and see what they have. I bought the frame for $30.

Step 2: I measured the size of the opening from the reverse. The frame is designed to allow for glass to be put in (so there is a ledge). Instead of glass, I got a piece of plywood cut at my local Home Depot to the size of the opening.

Step 3: Paint the piece of plywood with chalkboard paint. When it's wet, the paint looks blue. I freaked out a bit. But it dries black. Trust me. I did 2 coats.

Step 4: I took carpenters glue and put it along the ledge on the reverse of the frame, and then put the plywood in. I weighed the plywood down with some books to make sure that it took, but the weight of the wood does the trick.

Voila!

0 comments:

Post a Comment