Artist Feature, Peer Christensen

Here in Canada we're celebrating Family Day tomorrow, so I thought it would be a nice post to introduce another Artist that I've been saving, Peer Christensen.

You'll understand the family connection to Peer after reading the paragraph below. It's also a long post, as I felt that the story was necessary with Peers work to understand how I came to know of him. After this novel of a post, I'll be off for a few days, focusing on some projects around the house.

Peer Christensen
Image from Peer Christensen

I first saw Peers work in Peterborough, Ontario in May, 2002 after my graduation from Trent University. After my graduation I dined with my Parents and Aubrey at Parkhill on Hunter, one of my favourite restaurants in Peterborough. It was a night of celebration, we were obviously celebrating my graduation, but also, my engagement to Aubrey. That afternoon Aubrey had proposed to me, a few hours after I received my diploma. It was also a special evening for my Parents because on this evening, 30 years earlier, my Father had proposed to my Mother after she had graduated from Trent. A second generation of Trent grads, and a second generation of engagements at this wonderful school. Add a dash of candlelight, good food, some wine, and love into this whole mix, and you can see it's a recipe for a pretty romantic night.

So how does Peer work his way into this event? As we dined, we admired these gorgeous paintings hanging above us in the candlelit dining room. And, upon a closer look we saw that it was the work of Peer Christensen who had a gallery steps away from the restaurant.

peer
Images from Peer Christensen's Website

Not long after that evening, Peer's work was hanging in my parents home. And over the years a few more pieces have been collected. I've met Peer on a number of occasions, as he's always at his gallery, willing to talk about his latest work, and his latest inspirations. Whenever I look at the work, I'm mesmerized by the depth of the paintings and simplicity sometimes to the subject that he paints.

peer3
Streets with Rain, London, Peer Christensen, Available at Art Interiors

Peer's is my favourite artist out of all which is why I wanted to save his post for now. My admiration for his work is because of his talent, but there is a dash of sentimentality because of his special connection to our family as his work hung above us on that wonderful evening, and his work now hangs around us as we continue to celebrate milestones at my Parents.

If you are ever in Peterborough, do visit his gallery, and admire his work. :)

Christensen Fine Art
432 George St. Peterborough, Ontario
Canada
K9H 2K7
telephone 705.876.9623

0 comments:

Post a Comment