Living Room } Getting hit with inspiration

Lots of things happened in the house this week, all which all deserve proper posts. This one story is likely to be something that others can relate to. (At least I hope I'm not the only one that does this)
You see....sometimes Aubrey will come home from work in the evening to find a room looking much different than when he left.

I switch chairs around, I put up art, take down art, I move a carpet from one room to another. It's a sign that the room that I'm moving stuff to, and from, isn't working.

I think we're all liable to do something like what I do if you're not 100% happy with a room. Until I find a combo that works perfectly, all of the rooms in the house are in jeapordy of getting into the game of "switcheroo". (Master bedroom, for example, is off limits as I'm 100% content with it)

Thursday I took a mirror from our front hall and a library table that was misplaced in our kitchen, and they got moved to our living room.

Front Hall
(Mirror, in it's original home, our front hall)

The living room is one of my favourite rooms, with so much potential. It's sat empty for a very long time, but Thursdays game of 'switcheroo' gave me some very clear insight into the design direction of this room.
So, a recap...

living room 4
When we bought. Lovely peacock feathers add a nice touch of class to the fake fireplace, don't you think?

lliving room 3
Fake fireplace gone, new floors, new wall colour

Living Room

Over the past 2 years we have added a new couch, new custom drapes, side tables and lamps. Every purchase was made carefully, and with a lot of consideration. And as of Thursday, the Library table (stollen from the kitchen) and mirror (stolen from the front hall) made their way into the living room.

What did I learn from this? Actually, I got a lot of inspiration.
(1) Height. That is the first thing that this excersise taugh me. This room needs height on that wall whether it's the mirror, or a big piece of art, something big to be on this wall. If I were to keep it like this, I would flank each side of the mirror in some more framed art, likely in gold frames to be consistent with the gold mirror.

(2) Bookshelves
As I've written about before, and thus no surprise, we're adding in some bookshelves. You can see one white bookshelf in the picture - it is there as a temporary piece as we needed to see what depth of shelf we should do. We still haven't ordered them, we're still saving, and saving, but it's the next big thing that we plan on doing.

(3) Coffee Table or Ottoman
I've never seen a coffee table that jumped at me, but mind you, I haven't been looking all that hard either for one. I never had a vision. But after this moving of things around, I think I've fallen in love with the idea with a tufted ottoman instead of a coffee table. Round up of my favourites will follow shortly. An ottoman is probably a lot better with a child on the way (soft corners).

It's funny how a simple game of switching things around gave me that creative insight into the room.

0 comments:

Post a Comment