Hiding the Gas Meter

Part of our basement renovation was moving our washer and dryer from the back to of the house to the front. By moving the units, it freed up very use able floor space. We were able to move them, because the concrete floor was being broken up and we re-routed the drains.

If you're trying to visualize where the 2 units used to be, and how inconvenient it was, take a look at this picture where my current new desk is. Where my monitor is, is the area where the washer + dryer used to be. You can see if we had kept them here, it would make for an awkward work area. So we moved them to a known un-suable floor space at the front of the house at the foot of our stairs. It was unusable floor space because there is a gas meter hanging on the wall. And I didn't see really wanting to work beneath a gas meter.

002

So, we decided to hide the gas meter.

I decided to go buy a grass curtain of some sort to hang infront of the meter. I headed off to Ikea to see their cheap + cheerful ones, but they didn't make them big enough for the space. I really wanted 1 curtain to hang in the space, leaving some space (as you can see in the pictures)on the left where I could put my ironing board and all of my mops which are tall. (I do love my cleaning products)

The issue with the less expensive models? I couldn't find ANY large enough for the space. We went to Lowes and they were having a Levlor sale last of 30% off and they actually had THE perfect size for the space. So although it was more than I wanted to spend, it worked, and it's white + clean looking.

The nice thing is, the blinds don't ever have to move. To read the meter you just "tilt" the blinds just as if you were tilting them to let more light in.

The next step is that I'm going to have curtains hanging infront of this laundry area so that it's hidden. We had thought about bifold doors, but you always end up loosing a little space on either side when you do that, and the curtains would be a nice little beachy feel I think.

0 comments:

Post a Comment