Boring Post, valuable lesson

This is a pretty boring post, but I thought it worthwhile.

Over the past year, I've been complaining that our bed is bothering me. Yes. A year. It's hard to explain, or pinpoint a problem when change is so gradual. But the bed was uncomfortable.

First, I was getting pretty bad back pain. But I attributed that to possibly my pregnancy. Then I noticed that Aubrey and I would roll into one another in the middle of the bed. And I would need Aubrey to push me out of bed. Hows that for romantic. I grumbled. I hated our bed, and buying a new one wasn't an option. We had spent a good chunk of change on our King bed when we first got married, getting one from Sleep Country.

masterbedroom2

Upon telling my parents about this little annoyance in passing, Mom said, "Check the warranty on the bed". Maybe something was wrong with our bed and it wasn't me. I was dismissive, as having the bed for over 5 years, I was sure that the warranty had passed. After checking, we realized the bed had a 10 year warranty with Sleep Country Canada. As if.

Aubrey called Sleep Country, explained the situation and they said we had 2 options.

1) Do an electronic form with them & send a picture of the matress showing that there was a dip in the middle (needed to be 1.5" in depth that dip) or
2) They could send someone to check the mattress but it could take up to 8 weeks.

I opted for #2, as I personally think that in cases like this, I think someone HAS to see the bed in person. And I was more than happy to wait 8 weeks if it meant a better outcome. Within a week, we got a call, and someone was scheduled to come by. (I guess maybe they say 8 weeks as they'd prefer people pick the electronic method?)

When the "tester" from Sleep Country came over, and he sat on the end of the bed and it went "crunch" he said..."Yup, that isn't supposed to happen" and he wrote us up a ticket to get a new bed, of similar value to what we paid. Ummm...really!? I wasn't going nuts? The springs had gone, our bed was defective.

So, we went to Sleep Country and started to look at replacements. We had a price range that we could look within, based on what we paid in the beginning.

004

If you want to see a comedy sketch, this was it. A pregnant lady trying out different mattresses trying to keep her dignity. *sigh* It took 2 trips, as the first trip I was so embarrased, and frustrated by the experience, and trip #2 was much more relaxed. :)

002

So, we ended up picking the Serta "Perfect Sleeper" Arbutus model. It came Tuesday. And I've been sleeping like a baby ever since. I didn't realize HOW bad our bed was, until I awoke the next day after our first nights sleep. The bed is firm, but has a wonderful soft pillow top on the top and I find myself wiggling my toes at night under the covers as it's soooo comfy.

Anyhow, the moral of the story is to keep those warranties. TOTALLY worth it. :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment