Gliders, Rockers and Chairs, oh my

A lot of people left awesome feedback on our Gliders in our previous Nursery Post, which made me realize I should probably address what's going on with that chair.

Gliders. It's been an interesting, and surprisingly active topic/issue in our house. Who would have thought it that a chair would be the topic of so many conversations. Not yet ever having experience having a baby, late night feedings and all the things we're hearing about that comes with our new little package, it's hard to justify spending money on something that you don't know if you'll really need, even if 99% of people say you will.

It's not that I don't trust peoples opinions, you see, we're people that haven't even completed furnishing our living room, so spending $$ on a chair that we don't know if we'll need is why we're having trouble signing on the dotted line. But we will sign on the dotted line in the next few weeks.

So, when we started looking at Gliders, the most common styles out there are Dutailier Gliders like these ones below.

glider

Furniture is so personal, and the above are just not my style. I've seen them work in some GORGEOUS rooms, reupholstered and made trendy, but I'm not jiving with any of these looks.
My prefrence is to have something that we could move one day into another room. My studio, or even the cottage, but something that doesn't scream to us "baby". You saw in my room mock up that I super imposed a glider into the room.

nursery_mock up

People commented that they liked the colour of the glider. Oops. The glider in the above picture was actually converted to black and white - so the colour you see isn't true to what I would be picking. Below, you can see some of our favourite gliders. (Ignore the colour of the chairs)

best
(1, 2, 3 via BEST Furniture, 4 via Monte Gliders)

Here is our criteria for a chair.

#1 - Comfortable (All of the above are)
#2 - Small footprint, good for small spaces. (I've seen # 2, and # 4 in person, and these two fit this criteria.)
#3 - Works well with others. :-) More specifically, "works well with other furniture in our house." It is safe to assume that this chair will move to another area of our house one day, so I wanted to find something that could move one day to my studio, or even our cottage.

The above all fit the criteria but # 2, and #4 are my 2 favourites.

I personally love # 2, the RENA chair, because the lines are clean, and match the rest of our decor in our house. Fabric wise, I'm not too sure what we'd go with, but something in a neutral tone. The footprint of the chair won't be large, compare to other gliders, which was also a criteria for us

#4 is one of my absolutely favourites as well, the Monte Glider, which is Canadian Made. And I would buy it in a second, if it weren't for the $1,000 price tag. I just can't justify it when we have so many other purchases to be made. (Like strollers, reupholstering our kitchen bench, you get the drift).

Anyhow, so, we're leaning towards #2, I do adore it, and the clean lines which are why I loved the Monte, but it's a classic look that would likely work well in other rooms of our house when it comes time that we need to move it somewhere else. We will maybe go order that later on this week or next, so I'll take pictures when we pick the fabric. :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment